Best travel credit cards with no annual fee | best travel credit card no annual fee
The benefits and added rewards you’ll get from a travel credit card will make your trip more enjoyable. You might prefer a credit card with no annual fee if you’re on a tight budget or simply don’t travel much and don’t want to worry about the cost of a yearly membership. The best annual-fee-free travel cards combine the advantages of both worlds.
These credit cards can help you save money on travel without costing you a penny when used properly. The next time you’re making travel plans, think about trying out one of the best travel cards without an annual fee.
Discover it® Miles
Best feature: Travel incentives and flat-rate point earning
This is why: For anyone who wants to accrue miles steadily regardless of what they are buying, the Discover it® Miles travel rewards credit card may be the best option.
- You will always receive 1.5 miles for every $1 spent when using the Discover it® Miles travel rewards credit card.
- 15 months of 0% introductory APR on purchases. Then the Standard Variable Purchase APR of 16.24% to 27.24% will be used.
- Your personal information can be deleted by Discover from some people-search websites. Free activation through a mobile app.
- 99% of locations accepting credit cards across the country also accept Discover.
- Additionally, Discover will match all the miles you accrued during your first year of card membership.
You don’t need to monitor how you’re earning rewards with the Discover it® Miles card, or even worse, think about altering your spending patterns to increase your earning potential.
- 5X miles generous flat rate on all purchases
- Discover will match your first-year income.
- Absence of foreign transaction fees (this is true for all Discover credit cards)
- Redeem points for adaptable travel arrangements.
- A full year must pass before receiving the welcome bonus.
- No benefits for travelling.
- No access to airport lounges
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
Best feature: Sign-up bonus, best for students
This is why: For those looking to maximize the value of their upcoming travel arrangements with a respectable sign-up bonus, the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card is a nice choice.
- There is still value to be found in travel cards without an annual fee even though they typically don’t offer the sizable sign-up bonuses of more expensive rewards cards.
- When you spend $1,000 on purchases with the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card within the first 90 days of account opening, you will receive 25,000 bonus points. That’s a significant uplift with a potential $250 value as well as an achievable bonus in terms of the necessary spending amount.
- longer introduction time now! For purchases and any balance transfers made in the first 60 days, there is a 0% introductory APR for the first 18 billing cycles. 18.24% – 28.24% Variable APR will be in effect after the intro APR offer expires. All balance transfers are subject to a 3% fee (minimum of $10).
- Contactless Cards combine the convenience of a tap with the security of a chip card.
- Additionally, the card offers a flat rate of 1.5 points for every $1 spent on purchases.
- earns a fixed 1.5X points for every dollar spent.
- Members of Bank of America Preferred Rewards can earn an additional 25% to 75% in rewards.
- Absence of foreign transaction fees
- Options for flexible redemption
- No significant travel perks.
- Depending on creditworthiness, APR may be high.
Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card
Best feature: Cash Back and a variety of rewards
This is why: The Wells Fargo Autograph SM Card offers three points for every dollar spent in a number of useful bonus categories, which is why. Then you can book travel utilizing your points.
- No yearly fee
- Purchases have a 0% introductory APR for 12 months after account opening. Then, a variable APR of 19.24%, 24.24%, or 29.24% will apply.
- Restaurants, travel, gas stations, electric vehicle charging stations, public transportation, well-known streaming services, and phone plans all offer bonus rates to cardholders. $1 spent on any other purchases yields one point.
- You can earn 20,000 bonus points as a welcome bonus if you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of your account being opened.
- 2% cashback is always available on purchases.
- No yearly fee
- Benefit of cell phone protection
- There is a fee for balance transfers.
- A foreign transaction fee is charged.
- No transportation partners.
Hilton Honors American Express Card
Best feature: Hotel stays.
This is why: For frequent Hilton guests looking to earn rewards without paying an annual fee, the Hilton Honors American Express Card has a lot to offer.
At least initially, the rewards multipliers for approved purchases made with this card are astounding. Offerings from the Hilton Honors American Express Card
- For every $1 spent at Hilton portfolio properties, you receive seven Hilton Honors bonus points.
- 5 points on dining, grocery, and gas purchases made in the United States
- 3 points on all additional qualifying purchases
After you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of opening your account, you can also earn 80,000 bonus points.
However, the Hilton Honors American Express Card offers valuable benefits to Hilton visitors. The card comes with free Hilton Honors Silver status, which entitles you to benefits like late checkouts, the chance to earn a fifth night free on rewards bookings, and other perks. Additionally, if you spend $20,000 on eligible purchases within a calendar year, you have the chance to upgrade to gold status.
Additionally, there are no foreign transaction fees, which may come in handy if you use the card while travelling outside of the US.
- includes a free Hilton Silver status.
- receives generous rewards rates for stays at Hilton.
- Absence of foreign transaction fees
- Low benefits from elite hotels (for example, no room upgrades or complimentary breakfast)
- Silver status has few advantages.
- a low rate of transfers to airline partners
Chase Freedom Flex℠
best feature is the variety of cash back incentives.
This is why: In the first three months of opening your account, spend $500 on purchases to receive a $200 Bonus.
You can receive 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories every quarter!
5% cash back is available on all travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our top rewards program that lets you exchange points for cash back, travel, gift cards, and more.
1% cash back on all other purchases, with a maximum of 3% cash back at pharmacies and restaurants, including delivery and takeout.
No minimum is required to redeem cash back. The majority of U.S. checking and savings accounts allow you to choose between receiving a statement credit and direct deposits. For as long as your account is active, Cash Back rewards are valid.
0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months after account opening, followed by a variable APR ranging from 19.24% to 27.99%.
No annual fee – The fabulous features that come with your Freedom Flex SM card are all something without having to pay an annual fee.
- The rate of travel rewards is comparable to some of the top premium travel cards.
- Numerous other categories rank generous rewards highly.
- For the first year, additional 1.5 percent cash back will be added to the initial cash back rate on all purchases (up to $20,000). (Exclusive offer through Bankrate)
- Insurance for trip interruption and cancellation
- foreign transaction fee of 3 percent
- Without a premium card, it is impossible to transfer points to Chase’s travel partners.
Benefits of no annual fee travel credit cards
No-annual-fee travel cards typically offer a number of benefits:
- They’re excellent for those just getting started in the travel card industry.
- You won’t have to be concerned about paying back a high annual fee through purchases or credit accumulation.
- With a co-branded card, you can use credit card spending to accrue rewards in a hotel or airline loyalty program.
- For a brief period, you might get a 0 percent introductory APR on purchases or balance transfers.
- Compared to other no-annual-fee rewards cards, you’ll typically get more travel-related benefits, such as rewards on travel purchases or travel-related redemption options.
How to choose a credit card for travel without an annual fee
There are several crucial considerations to bear in mind as you examine the best credit cards for travel without an annual fee. You should consider the following information as you select your subsequent card.
Think about your spending habits and style. Finding a no-annual-fee travel card that fits your budget is ideal. Find a card that offers increased rewards on the categories of purchases you make most frequently each month. A flat-rate card might be the best option if your spending is fairly intermittent.
Compare introductory offers. Earning rates are crucial, but you also need to take welcome offers into account. It’s simple to earn $200 or more in rewards right away with a number of travel credit cards that don’t charge an annual fee (as long as you meet the terms).
Take note of cardholder benefits. Without an annual fee, hotel and airline credit cards frequently provide in-flight discounts or automatic elite status, while some general travel credit cards in this market segment provide perks like travel insurance.
Examine the redemption options carefully. Choose a travel credit card that enables you to exchange your points for the rewards you desire. If you’re unsure, search for a versatile travel credit card that enables you to use statement credits to pay for a variety of expenses.